Tuesday 28 June 2016

The Thoughts Of Hume Vs Systemic Functional Linguistics [4]

Russell (1961: 636):
There is, [Hume] says, no impression of self, and therefore no idea of self (Book I, part iv, sec. vi).  'For my part, when I enter most intimately into what I call myself, I always stumble on some particular perception or other, of heat or cold, light or shade, love or hatred, pain or pleasure.  I never catch myself at any time without a perception, and never can observe anything but the perception.'  There may, he ironically concedes, be some philosophers who can perceive their selves; 'but setting aside some metaphysicians of this kind, I may venture to affirm of the rest of mankind, that they are nothing but a bundle or collection of different perceptions, which succeed each other with inconceivable rapidity, and are in perpetual flux and movement'.

Blogger Comments:

From the perspective of Systemic Functional Linguistic Theory, Hume's claim is that the Senser is 'nothing but' mental Processes projecting Phenomena.  That is, he excludes the Medium from the Process.

No comments:

Post a Comment